10 infallible tricks to get rid of flies
There are some insects that tend to invade our homes, which is very unpleasant. Sometimes, no matter how thoroughly we clean all the rooms in our house, nothing works! Ants, cockroaches, spiders and, often, flies find a way to get into our homes, to our great dismay. Fortunately, you can eliminate these unwanted beings with some easy tips. If you’re looking to get rid of flies, here are some tips to try right away! These clever ideas will allow you to say goodbye to flies once and for all without using chemicals products sold in stores.
1 Here’s how to prevent flies from appearing
Obviously, it is better to prevent flies from appearing in your home than to have to get rid of them once they have already invaded your home. To avoid treating your home against flies with dangerous chemicals, here are some tips to follow:
- Make sure to keep your home clean by washing your floors and kitchen countertops often. Flies are attracted to dirty surfaces. So get into the habit of cleaning food stains as soon as they appear and wipe your countertops after meal times;
- Repair or replace your perforated screens. This simple action will prevent flies from entering your home during the summer season. You should also always avoid leaving your doors or windows open, at least if you don’t want to have insects in the comfort of your home;
- Once you have cleaned your dishes, dry them and store them in your kitchen cabinets. These insects love leftover food, but also moisture;
- Your garbage cans and compost containers should always have a lid. This will prevent unpleasant odours and insects from multiplying. Don’t forget, of course, to take out your garbage at least once a week and disinfect it.
2 Check the seals of your doors and windows
If you want to get rid of flies, you must also check the seams of your windows and doors first. In fact, they enter through these cracks. It is therefore advantageous to use a waterproofing strip and take the time to check your walls for cracks.
3 Throw out or put away your leftover food
There is nothing worse than leftover food to attract flies. It is not without reason that these insects are always buzzing near garbage cans. It is therefore essential that you store your leftover food in an airtight container, either in your refrigerator or in a cupboard if it is dry food.
4 Make a fly trap
You can also get rid of flies with a homemade trap. All you need is wine or cider vinegar, a glass and plastic wrap. Pour some of the liquid into the bottom of your glass, cover it with plastic wrap and make holes in it with a fork. Flies will be attracted to the liquid, but will not be able to come out of the container because of the plastic film.
5 Place plants near your windows
Another way to keep flies away from your home is to place some plants near your windows. Mint, basil and lavender are known to keep this type of insect at bay. If your home lacks light or you simply don’t like plants, you can buy lavender or citronella essential oils and spray some everywhere in your house.
6 Be aware of the health of your plants
Make sure your plants don’t rot. This way, not only will you prevent them from dying, but you will also have far fewer flies in your home. In fact, decomposing plants create moisture, which tends to attract flies. To prevent your plants from rotting, check the roots occasionally, avoid overwatering them and place pebbles in the bottom of their pots to help drain the water.
7 Try the garlic trick
Another way to get rid of flies in your home is to use garlic. Here’s how to use this natural trick:
- Peel garlic cloves and place them in boiling water;
- Filter the water;
- Pour the water into a spray bottle and spray this solution on your windowsills.
8 Place cloves all over your home
In addition to garlic, flies hate the smell of cloves. So you can keep them away from your house by slicing a lemon or lime in half and planting cloves in the fruit. All you have to do is place the fruit in a cup on the edge of your window. For this trick to work well, change the cloves every week.
9 Boil onions to ward off flies
Onions can also help you keep flies away from your home. To benefit from the properties of onion, here’s what you can do:
- Boil your onion in water;
- Filter the water and pour it into glasses;
- Place the cups near your doors and windowsills.
10 Use ripe fruit to trap and get rid of flies
If you have ripe fruits, know that you can use them to catch the volatile insects driving you insane. Simply peel your fruit or cut them in half, place their peels in a mixture of water and soap and wait for the insects to drown. It is no more complicated than that!
In short, you can get rid of flies in your home without using expensive chemicals. You only need a few natural ingredients to keep these unwanted insects away from your home. You must, of course, make sure first of all to take certain preventive measures, such as cleaning the surfaces of your counters and floors.
Cover photo: Instagram @mminsecte